Hi! I am drawn to the opportunity to teach because education and mentorship has been a significant influence in my life. Due to the fact that mentorship has been such a significant influence in my life, is what motivated me to give back to youth. Throughout my undergraduate experience at Colorado State University, I have gotten the opportunity to serve as a peer mentor specialist for international students during orientation. This was an opportunity to help international students transition to and through the university successfully by providing ongoing support and resources. Having such a positive experience as a peer mentor has not only given me a passion to work with international students but has also led me to where I am today and my desire to teach.
I have previously developed and taught college and career prep classes in K-12 public schools and am currently a Mentor Specialist at Aurora Youth Options. Within my role as a mentor specialist, I am currently teaching a life skills class to middle and high school age male youth in need of additional support by guiding them to reach their full potential in order to reach their long term goal.
I am always seeking an opportunity to grow as a teacher as I step out of my comfort zone and become exposed to different environments.
Metropolitain State University- TRIO Student Success Servce
January 2019 to January 2019
- Programing and implementing seven TRIO workshops to be facilitated and taught to MSU students and peer mentor students
- Reviewed incoming student’s applications for TRIO program and conducted interviews.
Center for Community Engagement & Service Learning (CCESL)
August 2017 to June 2018
- Assisted assigned college coaches in teaching high school students about public skills and civic capacities for our community organizing AVID class
- Provide on-site leadership to assigned college coaches working with Denver South High School students, including facilitating weekly meetings and developing goal to strengthen the team.
- Mentored assigned coaches and provided guidance about the Public Achievement Process and how to engage successfully with urban youth through cultural competency building, goal driven lesson plan development, and other skills related to the program
- Communicated with teachers and school administrators regularly to plan for Public Achievement and maintain partnership between CCESL and partner schools
Aurora Public Schools
September 2017 to June 2018
- Assist Virginia Court Elementary with teaching the Individual Career & Academic Plan (ICAP) planning for 5th grade students
- Assist elementary 5th grade teachers with any additional support including college tours, business and industry visits, student conduct, etc.
- Facilitate small group discussion with 5th grade students about future goals and the steps to achieve them
- Collaborate with administrators, teachers, and counselors to ensure the implementation of district wide and school based College and Career Readiness systems that match students with post-secondary planning opportunities
- Connect with students and family to ensure student have developed a “Plan” for their future
Aurora Mental Health (Aurora Youth Options)
November 2018 to Current
- Work closely with middle and high school youth along with their families in identifying and directing them to appropriate community resources that will support youth - Provide ongoing support and assistance with adult mentor volunteers and youth matches - Review incoming youth nomination form for AYO‘s mentoring program and conduct youth interviews. - Conduct 1st and 2nd half training for youth and adult mentor volunteer matches. - Meet with youth in homes, school or other community locations for initial assessments and surveys - Input youth and adult mentor volunteer matches information into AYO’s database - Collaborate and work as a team with my coworkers in promoting AYO to the community in order to build trusting relationships with other programs - Develop, implement and teach the AYO’s Group Mentoring Life Skills Curriculum - Lead AYO’s Group Mentoring program by supervising student intern and providing ongoing support to youth and families within and outside the classroom. - Send out monthly newsletter to adult mentor volunteers informing them about upcoming community events
Cultural Mentor Orientation
2012 Downunder wrestling team photo...
Downunder Wrestling Tournament ...
Trip to Australia